Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reading is Awesome

Jaimen loves story time before bed. He loves the excitement of picking the books he wants to read.
Here are a few of Jaimen's favorite books, why he loves them so, and why I love them too.

He likes momma to read him this one, because the story is all about Little Llama and Momma Llama. I like that this book is just 'ours', it rhymes very cute, has funny illustrations of Baby Llama freaking out, and when we come to the page where she is doing dishes and on the phone he always asks. "Who momma llama talking?"

He likes daddy to read this one, and sometimes momma too. He likes how daddy does all the fun noises and he likes to join in and do them too. In fact, we aren't quite sure what a hippopotamus says, but in the book it states "He can sound like a hippopotamus chewing" "Grum, Grum" So now that is what hippo's say -Grum Grum


This has got to be my new favorite one. The illustrations are amazing! I just get caught up looking at every single detail in each picture. The story is about a pig and an elephant and how even though you can be so different from someone, you can love that person so much. I cry a little each time I read this one. I think this teaches a good lesson, not me crying, but the book.



Jaimen likes to participate in the reading of this book. 'And the dog said' "Not I." 'And the cat said' "Not I". 'And the mouse said' "Not I". He just loves being able to take on their voices in this book. And I love that it teaches him that when asked to help the nice respectable thing to do is Help. ( I know he is 2, maybe it will teach him this lesson when he is 5?)


This isn't particularly a 'favorite' of his. He just said some funny stuff the other night when I read it to him.
Read the following page.


Notice the SPAM part?
Jaimen: "We no like spam"
Me: laughing
Jaimen: "What?"
Me: "Did your dad tell you we don't like spam?
Jaimen: "No"
And he really didn't, Jaimen came up with that one all himself.

See the next two pages:

Alan is not very happy about Jaimen's portrayal of him in this book.

I however am quite satisfied, check out them chompers I've got. And I have always wanted to 'walk like an Egyptian' (if you did not read that last line with a bit of a tune there is something wrong with you.)

And of course this one. We just barely started reading this one last week, and already I called Jaimen a Wild Thing and he said 'I want to be Max'. I was stunned to hear that he remembers the boys name already, and that he would relate what I called him to this book.

Jaimen has probably close to 150 books already, and we are kind of getting sick of reading the same ones. So if any of you have some favorites, let me know what they might be so we can check them out.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Ok, so did you scan those pics onto your computer and then upload them to this blog or is there some techy trick that I am too ignorant to know about? This blog was so fun to read and I love how you put the words onto the page you were talking about. Clever girl!! I'm impressed! Next time I see you, you'll have to give me lessons. If only I could be an expert blogger like you!!

P.S. I have SOOOO many books I should throw your way! But a good place to start is the library... they have reading lists for toddlers that give you book ideas. Then if you REALLY love it, you can buy it. Happy reading!

Jen said...

What fun books! I can't wait til Conner will actually stay still for an entire book, while I read to him. My oldest would sit through a hundred books at a time. That is if I read a hundred books to him, at a time.

Jordan said...

How fun! I'm glad you posted some of your (and Jaimen's) faves. Kenlee's way into Dr. Suess as well, maybe it's all the rhyming? Now i have some ideas on new books! Thanks Lynsie!

Katie Bergeson said...

Parker loves The Wild Things too! Did you know they are making a movie of the book? I'm so excited for it to come out! Park also loves the Tag reader books, specifically Walter the Farting Dog. He cracks up every time we read it.