Tuesday, June 9, 2009

OUCH!!

I wasn't going to post this but.... I have MASTITIS. Ouch! is all I have to say. Well not all.
I am only posting so that you all feel bad for me and give me kind words of encouragement to get through this.

Here is the definition and symptoms of Mastitis.

Definition:

Mastitis is an infection of the breast tissue that causes pain, swelling and redness of the breast. Mastitis most commonly affects women who are breast-feeding, although in rare circumstances this condition can occur outside of lactation.

Often, mastitis occurs within the first six weeks after birth (postpartum), but it can happen later during breast-feeding. The condition can leave you feeling exhausted and rundown, making it difficult to care for your baby.

Sometimes mastitis leads a mother mistakenly to wean her baby before she intends to. But you can continue breast-feeding while you have mastitis.

Symptoms:

  • Breast tenderness or warmth to the touch
  • General malaise or feeling ill
  • Swelling of the breast
  • Pain or a burning sensation continuously or while breast-feeding
  • Skin redness, often in a wedge-shaped pattern
  • Fever of 101 F (38.3 C) or greater
OUCH!!

Nuff said.

Okay there was a picture to go along with the Symptoms, but I didn't really think it proper to put a picture of a red swollen breast on my blog. Nor do I now think it is proper to tell you all that I have Mastitis, but oh well too late, I am posting anyways.

Honestly it feels like someone is slowly cutting my nipple off with a serrated knife, or worse.

I have had it since Sunday, and just got antibiotics for it last night. Although I have medicine for it I still have to put heat on it, massage it, and pump, or feed her on it.

Feeding her on it is not an option at all, it makes me cry, hard.

10 comments:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Oh no! I did not breastfeed but had clogged ducts which gave me most of the symptoms of your condition. Not fun and the fever really does you in! I really hope you get better soon :(

Hollyween said...

Crud. I've heard that mastitis is the pits. I'm so sorry. If you want to drop Jaimen off to play, he's welcome to. Or... you can come over and I'll ice your boob.

Andy and Katy said...

I am so sorry. I have never had it, but have heard that it is the worst pain even. Hopefully the meds will clear it up quickly and you will be back in action!!! Love ya!

Heather K said...

Man that's horrible. I never had it. But I did use a sample of Palmers' nursing cream a few times. Hopefully the antibiotic kicks in fast & you can bear the pain. :{ I'd love to get together sometime. Let me know when is good for you!! :)

Jen said...

Boob crap sucks!!! It's these "female moments" when I secretly loath the male species. Why can't the men get mastitis (sp?)? Why can't they have menstral cycles? Men! I know my man couldn't hack it. Whimp.

Hang in there! I've never had it, but your description makes me hold my boobs in despair. Take care of yourself and I hope this passes quickly!

By the way...have you been over to my blog lately? Um, hello! You won my giveaway! I just need you to e-mail your address, so I can send the prize to you. csjlewis@hotmail.com

Jen said...

I just read Holly's comment and got a mental image of Holly holding icepacks on your chestal area. Disturbing Holly.

Wendi said...

Yuck! That sucks! But keep on keepin' on! I'm 100% in support of breast-feeding!! Sorry if it makes you cry but don't give up! You'll be thankful later when your children are the smartest ones in their classes... You can pat your boob and thank her for enduring so that your children would be intellegent:~)

Lynsie said...

Oh the things we do for our children.

Can I get an amen?

Katie Bergeson said...

Sorry, been there & it sucks big time! That & I was only producing an ounce between both breasts at the time too! That's when I finally said, not worth it!!! If you can do it, more power to ya but don't beat yourself up if you can't. I was way too hard on myself & ended up a little "bluesy" because of it. I'm also pretty sure my kids are just as smart as any other! :)

Good luck, luv ya!

The Brown's said...

I don't have mastitis but my third yeast infection on my breasts. It hurts bad too! I just started medicine yesterday and am NOT feeling better yet either. I am pumping cuz I cry when I nurse. Seriously, like we don't have enough to worry about and recover from :) Hope we both get feeling better soon!!!!