It's a new year and it's that time we make resolutions. I have never been one for resolutions, they never stick, so I make goals instead.
Goal #1 this year is to stop yelling, wait, to TRY and stop yelling.
Jaimen is at the age where some day's he listens, some days, not so much.
For example the other day I sat down in front of him and asked why he was upset...
Jaimen: "Because you put the book away" (sniff, sniff)
Me: "Okay, I put it away because the story was over, I even said so when I said, 'The End'"
(I had finished reading his book, shut it, got off the couch, took it back to his room, and came back to the living room before he noticed I was gone and the story was over)
Jaimen: "sniff, sniff"
Me: "Jaimen, can you listen to me for a minute?"
Jaimen: "Yeah"
Me: "You are upset because you were not listening when I read the story, now that its over and I put it away you want to finish reading it, but I was finished reading it. You need to listen to Mom and Dad when we talk to you, weather we are reading a story or asking you a question. Lately you haven't been listening, which causes me to yell to get you to listen, and Mommy doesn't like yelling, frankly I am sick of yelling, (he didn't listen to a word I said, and to prove it, I said this,) and mommy is a big crazy dinosaur who likes to eat frogs."
Jaimen: " "
End of story, not listening, any kid would have laughed to hear their mom announce they were a big dinosaur who eats frogs... I thought it was funny.
So this is my reason for trying not to yell... although he is not making it an easy goal to accomplish. Seriously the child will not listen unless my voice is raised.
Goal #2 is to buy a trailer or rent one and take the kids camping... I'm sorry I am not a tent girl nor will I ever be. I was raised going camping with a sink and soap, and being able to run into the trailer when it started pouring rain or blowing sand in your eyes :)
Goal #3 is to go somewhere with my husband and only my husband, it doesn't have to be fancy, or expensive, it just has to be the two of us.
Goal #4 is to go to Yellowstone. You would think that since I live so close I might have been there before, but nope never, haven't seen Zion National Park either, or Moab. This is a goal from last year that I will carry to this year. I think Jaimen would enjoy it more this year than last.
That's all I can think of for now, what about you guys? Do you make resolutions, or do you think that's a bunch of humbo jumbo?
Monday, January 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have the same goal...less yelling (and swearing). I know, I'm going to h@*l. My swearing tends to raise it's ugly head when I am yelling and angry. It's an ugly habit that I hope to curb this year. All I need is for Conner to start repeating what I say at church. NOT GOOD!
Good luck with the "yelling thing". It's a tough one!
You know Jen, I was talking with a close friend and she read a study done on swearing. It proved that when your feeling sick, swearing makes you feel better. So I am sure it makes us feel better when we are feeling angry... I will test this study but I sure feel better after a big swearing fit :)
I'm with ya on the trailer! That's one of my "goals" as well. No tents for me! Seriously, you NEED to make it to Moab. We go every March and it's the best vacay ever! Soooo kid friendly.
Post a Comment